The establishment of ship repair workshops
The ship repair workshops were established according to the order of the Ministry of railways dated November 4th, 1913. But officially it was found on November 6th according to the “Regulations about foundation, works carrying out and accountability of state ship repair workshops for marine and dredging convoy of Saint-Petersburg district of the Ministry of railways”. That’s why this date, November 6th, 1913, is considered to be the date of Nevsky Shipyard foundation day. The most advanced equipment at that time: face, turning, universal milling, planning, and woodworking machines, sledge hammer for iron and nonferrous castings, lift and carry equipment was installed at the workshops.
The main task of the ship repair workshops was repair of state steamers, dredging vessels and other types of vessels.
Schliesselburg population was more than 7000 people. The town looked like Petersburg in miniature thanks to its canal, multiethnic population, practicing different religions, and wide outlet to water areas. There were Polish Roman Catholic Church and 2 synagogues along with orthodox temples. Stone houses of local merchant class and shopping centre decorated the town centre. The main activities of the locals were fishery, repair and piloting of river vessels on canals and Ladoga Lake.