In August 2016 tank "Sherman" of the age of World War the Second was delivered on Nevsky Shipyard.
M4 Tank "General Sherman" - the basic American medium tank during World War II. It was widely used in the US Army in all areas of fighting, as well as large quantities delivered to allies (notably the UK and the USSR) on the Lend-Lease program. In the USSR, the US "Sherman" began arriving in November 1942.
In March 1945, the American ship "Thomas Donaldson" in convoy followed around Europe to Murmansk. However, the convoy fell into a trap had been set by the German submariners and freighter sank at the entrance to Kola Bay, near Kildin Island.
In 2010, experts of the Search and Rescue Control of the Northern Fleet (NF SRC) started design works for raising on the surface the content of holds of the American vessel "Thomas Donaldson" in the Barents Sea.
In 2014, from the bottom had been raised on the surface a medium tank "Sherman", and later managed to extract another one.
On August 1, 2016 the tank was taken to the Nevsky Shipyard for restoration. To restore the tank "Sherman" the following works were done: the landing door had been opened and the body of the tank had been washed inside, the tower and housing had been cleaned by sandblasting; the missing drive sprockets had been made on the sample, as well as rollers, springs, track shoes and axles. The models of mufflers and missing covers had been manufactured and installed; tank tower had been fixed to the body, the gun barrel had been laid in a rack; tank hull had been painted in dark green color.
September 2, 2016 tank "Sherman" was passed to the Military Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineer and Signal Corps. The event was timed to the 75th anniversary of the arrival of Arctic convoy "Dervish" into Russia. The ceremony was attended by veterans of polar convoys from Russia, USA, UK and Canada, members of the city government, the Legislative Assembly of St.-Petersburg, the command of the Western Military District and the Navy, the Management of Culture of Defense Ministry of Russian Federation, the Federal Agency of Sea and River Transport, representatives of the diplomatic service, students of the Suvorov and Nakhimov schools, cadets of the Mikhailovsky artillery Academy, representatives of the city public.